Many people who own pets compare owning a dog to having a toddler at home. It’s interesting to note that most poisonings happen there. Most of them are by accident. Up to 80% of cases involve canines, who are more likely than felines to get into trouble. While cats tend to be pickier eaters, dogs will eat anything they can get their hands on.
It’s important to note right away that our pets are not miniature versions of ourselves. It doesn’t follow that your dog can consume most of the items on our list just because you can. Regretfully, consuming any of these substances may have detrimental or even fatal effects.
1. Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat Is Chocolate
contains three ingredients that can lead to food poisoning: caffeine, theobromine, and methylxanthines. Not surprisingly, the holidays see a high number of accidental ingestion cases. While there are issues with each, the first one is the most significant. The results are more serious the darker the chocolate. Cardiac arrhythmias and problems with the central nervous system (CNS) can be brought on by methylxanthine.
One ounce or less can be lethal. Signs could appear in as little as six hours. Seizures and, eventually, death if treatment is not received are the symptoms, which also include intense thirst, GI distress, vomiting, and hyperactivity.
2. Grapes & Raisins
Raisins and grapes are toxic because they contain tartaric acid. It is the acid that these fruits contain the most of. Dog ingestion may result in renal failure and liver damage. Indications appear within a day, frequently earlier. They consist of weakness, trembling, lethargy, and vomiting. Within 72 hours of ingestion, kidney failure sets in, requiring the pet’s euthanasia.
3. Citrus Fruits
Citric acid plays a role in the toxicity of citrus fruits, such as grapefruits, oranges, and lemons. It has a major impact on the pH of food. For instance, lemon juice has a pH of 2.0–2.6, making it extremely acidic. These fruits may cause irritation to the lining of your dog’s digestive tract and mouth. Additionally, it can make your pet ill and induce vomiting, as well as affect how well their central nervous system works.
The classic exotic fruit is the starfruit. Originating in Southeast Asia, this dish is flavorful and has a low sugar content. Sadly, it may cause issues for both people and dogs. Kidney problems may result from it, especially in those who already have medical conditions. For pets taking prescription medications, it is not recommended as it may disrupt their medication intake. Confusion and nausea are other side effects of starfruit, at least in humans.
5. Pits Fruit
You might be surprised to hear that eating the pits of common fruits like apples, apricots, cherries, and peaches can make you sick. Amygdalin is a chemical that they contain. Because the pits release cyanide when chewed, they can cause an allergic reaction in dogs or humans. Because it interferes with oxygen utilization, a small amount can result in weakness, respiratory distress, vomiting, and even death.
6. Oxalic Acid-Rich Foods
Oxalic acid is a sword that has two edges. It can be found in very nutrient-dense foods like spinach, tofu, and almonds. It can, however, bind with calcium or magnesium to form crystals of oxalate. That’s where the problems begin because it can result in sharp and potentially harmful drops in these minerals. Kidney damage can result from calcium oxalate.
7. Chives, Garlic, Onion, Leeks, and Green Onions
The worst of the lot is onion. The issue stems from the aliphatic sulfides and sulfoxides found in each vegetable. Heinz body anemia, which results in the death of red blood cells, can be brought on by these substances. It only takes 15–30 g/kg to be toxic.
You might be surprised to learn that avocados are on the list. Apart from the sizeable pit and high fat content, it doesn’t appear to be a dangerous food. It is an illustration of the various animal sensitivities. In this instance, the toxin persin is to blame. Vomiting and nausea may result from ingestion. Additionally, it might harm the heart.
The plant’s ground seeds are used to make mustard. It includes an isothiocyanate chemical compound. Broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables like kale also contain it. This chemical can irritate your dog’s stomach and result in gastroenteritis if they consume too much of it. Symptoms of food poisoning include drooling, vomiting, and abdominal pain.
Everybody has a classic mental picture of a dog contentedly chewing on a bone. Regretfully, it may also cause issues, especially if it splinters. When a pet chews on bones, it could injure their mouth or chip their teeth. It is a medical emergency if they swallow any shards or pieces because it can cause a gastrointestinal blockage. Although we have no doubt that your dog would adore chewing on a bone, the risk is too great.
11. Spicy Foods
This one ought to be obvious. Capsaicin is the ingredient that gives spicy food its heat. Studies have indicated that it causes a pain reaction in canines. Additionally, it may quicken their heartbeat. For this reason, you should never give your pet any kind of spicy food.
12. Cinnamon & Nutmeg
When used in excess, these spices are poisonous to dogs. Low blood pressure, vomiting, and respiratory distress can all result from consuming cinnamon. Myristicin is a chemical that has effects that are opposite to those of nutmeg. Even a tiny bit can make you sick. On the other hand, hallucinations, confusion, and elevated blood pressure can also result from it. Up to 48 hours may pass between the effects.
13. Baked Goods
The spices we talked about have the potential to be harmful when baked goods are consumed. Not to mention the fat and sugar content. A mere mini-donut contains approximately sixty calories. In a 10-pound dog’s recommended daily intake of 275 calories, that’s a sizable portion. Obesity is a dangerous condition that raises your pet’s risk of diabetes and heart disease.
14. Xylitol-Containing Candies & Gum
A common natural sweetener in many products is xylitol. On the other hand, it poisonous to dogs in two ways. Initially, it may cause an increase in the animal’s liver enzyme levels, which may lead to harm or even liver failure. Second, xylitol sets off a series of events that cause blood sugar levels to drop and insulin levels to rise. Weakened and possibly vomiting, an affected pet may even experience seizures. Veterinary assistance is necessary.
15. Macadamia Nuts
It’s unclear what specifically makes macadamias toxic. But within 12 hours of eating these nuts, dogs become very weak, throw up, and tremble. In severe cases, your veterinarian may treat your dog with IV fluids and pain medication, but most dogs recover in 48 hours or less.
16. Salty Snacks
These foods have a problem with sodium. Dogs don’t require a lot of salt in their diets. Adults only require 0.2 grams per day. Salt toxicosis can result from an excessive amount of salty food eaten, particularly if the pet does not have access to fresh water. Seizures, vomiting, and GI distress are among the symptoms. Dogs can withstand some salt, but we strongly advise against giving your pet these snacks.
Any type of alcohol consumption has the potential to cause ethanol toxicosis, which can impact the central nervous system. Dogs are especially susceptible to it. Lethargy, GI distress, and vomiting are brought on by ingestion. Breathing problems may also arise in an affected animal. If treatment is not received, there may be worse outcomes or even death. It’s also important to remember that hops in beer can be just as harmful to dogs.
18. Caffeine-Containing Beverages
The same methylxanthines that make chocolate toxic to pets are also present in beverages that contain caffeine. Diarrhea and vomiting may result from these substances. Heart function can also be impacted by caffeine. Usually, signs appear within two hours. They have the potential to quickly worsen and result in death, seizures, and loss of coordination, among other things.
19. Dairy Products
Your body uses the lactase enzyme it has stored in order to break down the sugars in dairy products. Your dog is in the same situation. But as they get older, dogs and humans both produce less of this substance. Consuming dairy products can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain in dogs because many of them develop lactose intolerances.
20. Raw or Undercooked Food
Foodborne illnesses in humans and dogs can be caused by pathogenic bacteria such as Salmonella, which can be found in raw or undercooked food. Cleaning up after feeding your pet is not enough. Everything you use to prepare these foods needs to be cleaned. Therefore, feeding these foods to your pet is not advised by the FDA or the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).